Friday, December 16, 2011


memory

 the trip down south is summer nectarines warm from the sun. bought from a cheerful man in the back of a van. kids can't wait ok one before we start again... seeds thrown into the bush... a chat about what's ok to toss and what is not... depending upon skill level and your position in the car. Inevitable one lands on a closed window... I remember my sister and I as kids doing the same... food is such a part of memory for me also a large part of the planning. this trip was cold banana bread and home made slushies ( water with a touch of juice) brought out just when he are we almost there yet couldn't wait any longer, distraction and thirst quenched at the same time...


other trips have been peanut butter biscuits my mums recipe unchanged for the past 38 years... all of my years. Still can't believe it's been 10 years since they both have gone. I stopped being a daughter the same year I became a mother...


I think my children and my parents have missed out on something quite special. at the same time though my children know the stories and we have kept traditions that came from my parents. we kept the great, the funny and unique. we also get to lose the sad, and any disappointment because I know they would have been great grandparents and never will i know otherwise...


a spontaneous visit to the Sydney markets early in the morning,. Necessary in the avoidance of the usual bikrams... A first for Nick. the noise and bustle fantastic array of produce. The farmers and pickers all having been up for hours eating lunch as week are beginning to contemplate a chocolate croissant for breakfast... I love it here and now am seeing it again for the fist time through anothers eyes. Yes we must take home lychees and cherries mangoes too pricey this week for those who can eat them in one sitting. 
The thrill of 2 hands of bananas bought as the prices have come down after the QLD floods. bananas still seeming a treat. Not yet ready to mush a load of frozen ones into an ice cream like mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment